I waited over a week to post. Like a lot of people I didn’t think Trump would win and I was surprised. I wanted to process it before I wrote something in the heat of the moment.
No matter who wins, both candidates only recieved 48% of the vote, meaning 52% didn’t like the other one. Several mayors, governors and senators and congressmen will not return to office. The whole makeup of our country will change in January 2017.
Several things are happening that need to be revisited. Just give him a chance. He is not my President. Their are protests and riots and kids walking out of class. I will give my psychological perspective one at a time. I am in no means predicting anything, just my spin on how people are feeling.
- The media messed this up. The polls were wrong. Why is this bad? Some people may not have voted because they thought there candidate had it in the bag so they didn’t need to or they fired they were going to lose so it didn’t matter. Always vote no matter what the polls say. No vote no voice.
2. Just give him a chance- I remember 2008 very well. No one was giving Obama a chance. The birther movement was in full swing and plenty of people were saying he is not my president and calling him obummer, a muslim, a kenyan, a socialist. No there were no riots, but plenty of racist signs and bumper stickers for 8 years. They called him an ape. Asked for his lynching. Insulted his wife and kids and called them ugly. We discovered that america was still racist in 2008. So it is hard for people to want to take the high road and do the same for Trump.
3. He is our elected President. Always pray for our leaders. He is your President so hold him to a standard above a reality TV host. He has to watch what he says now. He needs to be called out when he does wrong or praised when he does right. Acceptance does not mean approval.
4. The protests. Cory Booker told us to behave. We have the right to make our voices heard and assemble. We do not have the right to loot, burn, throw rocks, destroy property and act like a big temper tantrum. That does not make your cause look right. People miss the message when looking at the behavior. I understand why people are afraid, due to the statements made about them. Trump has done racists behaviors in the past with his rental policies and has made racist comments. On the other side, reports are coming out of brown people being targeted and threatened. This just validates peoples fears. A few incidents like that and people will go see we should be afraid and more people will protest.
5. A better way. Look to 2018. If Trump has not fulfilled his promises to the ones that expected him to then let him know and start finding someone else for 2020 and vote out the congressmen that sided with him. If Trump fulfilled his promises and you do not like them, then also vote out those responsible and look for a sucessor for 2020. He will be 74 in 2020 and we all know how this office ages people. He may not want to run again.
6. Trump is a large personality and is used to getting his own way. He may adapt to having to negotiate where he isn’t the biggest ego in the room or he may not. I personally would not want to work for him and not agree with him. Yet if our country is full of minions who don’t speak out we don’t learn or grow. A good parent tells their kids what they need to hear not what they want to hear. Let us hope Trump has some parents/advisers that tell him like it is.